Monday, April 07, 2008

Journal

I have heard many people say that they use their blog as a journal. Beginning about a month before my mission, 9 years ago, I started a journal and through nothing more than force of habit have kept it up, although I type it now to save time. So, for all of you who use your blog as a journal here is my journal as a blog, at least one days worth.


April 7, 2008

I have now completed my final Monday as a medical student. It is pretty exciting to have this be my last week of med school. Not that I graduate at the end of this week but as of Friday I will be done with rotation as a med student forever. This has been a good year for me. It has been enjoyable and low stress to be a 4th year with slightly more knowledge than a 3rd year yet still no real responsibility. I do find myself looking to the future and while the increased responsibility frightens me in many ways I also crave it. I am scared to death to be the one holding the scalpel and yet I long for that day to come. I can’t wait to be able to do more. While I am very tired of being a medical student in so many ways I am not tired of going home by 5PM (at least on this rotation...many other have not been so nice) or of not having to dictate (at least not often and even then someone else has to dictate their own note). I love the fact that my pager is broken and has been for the past 8 months and no one cares. At the same time in a masochistic way, I look forward to having a pager go off and being needed by someone at the other end; that feeling will probably last for about 2 pages at which time I am sure I will want to smash, step on, throw, and do any number of other maneuvers to permanently destroy that alarm clock known as a pager. But for now, I am content to know that this is my last week of medical school and on Friday Abbey and I will go out to dinner at Macaroni Grill, the place we ate the night I found out I was accepted to UW. Boy does time fly when you're having fun, or something like that.

1 comment:

Joshua said...

I can't even imagine the sense of accomplishment that you must have right now. I hope to one day be in your position, wondering what the future holds. You are man Dr. Calvert!