Friday, July 25, 2008

Family Reunion '08 - "We'll Laugh, We'll Cry, We'll All Get High"







Okay, not actually high. It was just saline. My little sister was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. While she was in the hospital the diabetes nurse educator made everyone go around the room and check their blood sugar and inject saline to see what she would have to do everyday. The rest of us had the "opportunity" while we were together for the reunion. It was worth it for Emma.

Side note: My mom was convinced that I would be really good at doing the injections as I had "probably given thousands of shots as a medical student." Yet another fallacy of the lay medical community. I could count the number of shots I have given on one hand. We just don't do it that often. Starting IVs is the same thing. I have walked into a patient's room several times to find a nurse failing their 4th or 5th IV attempt only to have them look at me and say, "Good thing you are here...they are a really tough stick, I think you better try." If you ever have this experience as the patient I would recommend suggesting they find another nurse instead. Although I do have to say, when I have stepped in and hit the vein on the first try it looks really good and patients assume you can do anything.

4 comments:

s g said...

I was worried you really were all doping up...:) That is crazy about Emma, but I think that probably was a good experience for all of you to have. My cousin's 4 year old was diagnosed with type I diabetes last year as well.

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

What a very supportive thing for everyone to do! I bet it ment a lot to Emma. One a diabetic note, have they talked about a pump? I actually just got put on one this week. 10 years of doing injections and now this. So far it has been great, an adjustment...but great.

Joshua said...

Remember that time that Adam stuck the syringe in his leg as fast as a sloth! that was awesome.

Alaina said...

I just love that you all did this for Emma. I don't know if I would brave an unnecessary needle for that!

So Friday August 29th you want to plan a little family get-together for swimming before my pool closes down? If your boys like swimming, of course. Keep the date open if you're interested and maybe I'll make Kendall plan it since she'll be back in town :)