Sunday, October 19, 2008

How to Begin...

To describe the last few days in just one word it would be: emotional. We have felt fear, concern, anxiety, sadness, relief, gratitude, and pure joy. I have not had a chance to write this experience down in my journal and since I am doing it here for the sake of informing anyone who's interested I will go ahead and record the details I can recall.

I woke up on Thursday morning at about 5:40am. Jacob had worked that night and wouldn't be home for a couple of more hours. I had already gone to the bathroom at about 2:00am and so I wondered why I was awake. Typically, I do not get out of bed until the boys wake me around 7:00. I sat there for a minute and then without thinking I climbed out of bed and walked out of the bedroom. I was halfway through the office when I heard some noise coming from Ben and Max's bedroom. By the time I got the door open I could clearly hear that the moans and groans were coming from Max. As I ran to him and called his name I received no response. I got to his bed and pulled him out, feeling cold vomit on the sheets as I did so. In the dark I could feel Max's twitching and very unnaturally tense body. I instantly knew he was having a seizure.

After a phone call to 911 and Jacob, I sat in the rocking chair by the front door and sang primary songs while Max trembled in my arms. Although watching him was terrifying I couldn't help but think how peaceful Max seemed. He wasn't thrashing and convulsing. He seemed to be torqued to the left, looking up to the left, his left hand clenching and unclenching and mumbling and biting his teeth. As awful as it was and the wild things that ran through my mind, I knew that Max was not in pain. I know this was a tender mercies from our Heavenly Father. I knew he wasn't hurting. Within 5 minutes two fire engines and an ambulance arrived and Jacob arrived shortly after. They found he did not have a fever, which is the most common reason for children to have seizures. I rode in the front of the ambulance and poor Jacob had to drive behind. He felt helpless as he watched the paramedics working on Max through the back window. Max wasn't coming out of the seizure and so they ended up medicating him to stop it. They took us to the "Resucitation Room" which is not exactly what a mother wants to read when you really don't know what's going on. Fortunately, the seizure had ended and he just seemed to be sleeping. It took about 2 hours for Max to gain consciousness. It was two hours spent wondering if he would be able to speak, if he would be paralyzed (in his unconscious state he would only move his right side),if he would be able to talk... As soon as he woke up he mumbled "Water Please."; still so sweet and polite after all he had gone through! We ended up spending two days in the hospital and found that Max had a Partial Complex Seizure originating in the right hippocampus that lasted at least 25 minutes. He had a CT, EEG, and MRI done, all of which were inconclusive. We really don't know why this happened to Max. We will have to go back in the next few months to have the tests done again. He also wasn't able to keep any liquids or solids down and so they had to keep him on an IV. At the end of the second day, he finally ate a much needed meal, kept it down and so we were finally able to go home! We have had two days at home and I am so pleased to say that Max is 100% back to normal. He is happy, smily, and running around as usual. We are so grateful to come out of this experience with a healthy little boy and with the knowledge that we are never left alone. I am grateful for incredible doctors and nurses who were so gentle and kind to Max. I am thankful for neighbors, friends, and family who jumped to help us when we were in desperate need of it. I am deeply grateful for the whisperings of the Spirit that got me out of bed and that bestowed that peaceful feeling in my heart when my mind was frantic. I am grateful for a husband who worthily holds the priesthood and could bless our little boy as he lay unconscious on the hospital bed. I am most especially grateful for our Heavenly Father who hears and answers the pleading prayers of a mother and father. Heavenly Father lives, loves us, and mercifully blesses us.

After we knew that Max was OK, we caught just a few photos. He was just so cute in that elephant hospital gown, especially when he got his appetite back and would call, "Nurse! More popsicle please!" The nurses couldn't get enough of him! Oh how we love this little guy!







25 comments:

CALVERT HOME said...

I am so glad Max is back to normal! He is the sweetest little guy! Tell him I love him and that I can't wait to see him in a few weeks!!!
-Emma

twoplustwins said...

We are so glad Max in doing better. What a scary ordeal to have to go through. We will keep him in our prayers!
~Campbells

Belkycita said...

Dear Abby how scary!
Thanks for your testimony.

clybbert said...

Abbey,

This story brought both Parker and I to tears. Thank you for your testimony. We will be sure to keep your family in our prayers. Thanks for sharing that tender story. We love you guys.

s g said...

abbey, I have been thinking about you the last few days and wanting to call!! I am sorry I didn't, but I will this week.

we are so glad max is ok, I can't imagine how stressful and traumatic that must have been for you guys...and of course what an amazing perspective and what a beautiful way you have journaled this experience, thanks for sharing!!

Amber Addams said...

Words truely cannot describe how much I love that little smile. What a treasure to have a Max! Thank you for being a wonderful example to me of a mother who truely treasures her children and knows how to trust that Heavenly Father will provide, protect and comfort them.

Anna said...

You are such a brave mother Abbey. How wonderful to be blessed with the peacefulness of the spirit in such a traumatic time. I am happy that Max is doing well. Max and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. He is becoming such a handsome little man.

Jason and Rachel said...

We are keeping your family in our prayers as you continue to work through this. We are so thankful that Max has pulled through so well.

We would love to catch up with you guys more.

Blessings,
Jason and Rachel

Andrea said...

Oh Calvert family--I am so sorry to hear about this scary time for you. Abbey, I am so glad that you were blessed with the peace and comfort you needed.

Keep us posted!

Marianne said...

I was in tears reading that. I'm so glad he's okay! My mom called me and told me what happened and you guys have been in our prayers. I'm so glad he's home again and doing well. You're right- he does look cute in those pictures!

Susie said...

Wow. What a miracle - on a number of different levels. I'm glad you recorded it - and that we get to benefit from your experience and testimony. Hugs to Max from all of us!

Scott's said...

Abbey (and family) We love you!!!

Anonymous said...

We are glad to hear Max is doing better. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers!

-Marshalls

sariqd said...

What I'm grateful for is that you were so in tune with the Spirit. Truly... and am also so happy that things have turned out well. Much love to you & the boys!

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

We are so happy that Max is doing great and back to himself. Thank you for sharing. The tender mercies of the Lord are truly amazing!

The Love Shack said...

I cannot express how happy I am to know he's okay. I cried while reading your post and loved hearing about your strength and faith - something definitely needed at a time like that. I cannot imagine going through something like that with one of my boys but I also know that once faced with it you find strength you didn't know you had and the ability to get through it. Thanks for your testimony. I too am grateful for His tender mercies given to you that day. God bless.

Unknown said...

I still haven't stopped crying! What a scary experience for you guys. I'm so glad that Max is okay. We will be praying for him. We miss you guys so much!

Clarisa

Travis and Jamie said...

Poor little buddy. Isn't it amazing how the Lord works. I have had several times when I woke in the night and have found that the boys were sick or needed me and I couldn't hear them. I always check on them now when I wake up, just incase.

The Allred Family said...

It was so inspiring to read that post. I always have faith that if something like that were to happen, I would wake up too. You are so blessed and as you should be.....you are more than an amazing woman! I am so sorry for the traumatic experience. It sounds like a mother's nightmare! My prayers are with you as you try to figure otu what happened!!

Harrison Happenings said...

Grandma and Grandpa Leavitt called and told us what had happpened. We have been praying for your family's health and peace of mind. Sydney asks me about her friend Max now before prayers at bedtime. We love you guys so much and are so thankful that things have gone back to normal.

Lindsey said...

What a traumatic ordeal. It was inspiring to read about your strong testimony and peace of mind throughout it all. So glad that Max is okay. He looks adorable in the picts

Anonymous said...

i am so glad that he is doing perfectly fine! what a crazy ordeal to go through...glad things are back to normal. he is a very cute patient.

Laura said...

What a scary and heart-wrenching experience to watch your child go through that. We're so glad to hear that all is well.

The Lowmans said...

Wow. We are so glad that everything is okay. Max is such a little cutie. Experiences like these really make you grateful for the gospel, and the knowledge and power that comes with it.

Jill and Paul said...

max really is such a sweet sweet boy.