- I have to apologize to all of our friends who we have had over recently. I am convinced that I now have residency induced narcolepsy, because several times over the past few weeks I remember having company over...I remember sitting and talking...and then I remember Abbey waking me up from the middle of the floor, couch, table etc... with everyone long gone, saying it was time for bed. A month of labor and delivery night shifts has significantly reduced my ability to remain conscious while sitting for more than a few minutes.
- At Halloween we watched from across the room as Ben opened the door for trick-or-treaters and only gave one of the two little girls a piece of candy. He closed the door looking towards us and said, "They can share."
- Abbey and I recently became addicted to facebook. (Sorry Susie - I did read that post of yours.) I still prefer blogging, but it has been pretty fun to find old friends that I haven't talked to for years.
- I have heard stories about women not knowing they were pregnant until delivery, but never really believed them. Well, I can now say that it is true. I have had two patients so far who have delivered at term and did not know they were pregnant. The common denominator - obesity. That is just sad.
- I sectioned my first set of twins this week and the husband was taking pictures and gave me copies. I love this job. (I'm on the right side in all of them.)
- It is common to have a nuchal cord (a cord wrapped around the babies neck). Last week I delivered a baby with a double nuchal cord (which is also fairly common) but after reducing those it kept going and wrapped around the body 3 more times. I measured the cord and it was 96 cm. I was hoping for a world record since the average cord length is 55cm, but after a quick google search I found the longest known cord - 156 cm. Either way I took some pictures with my phone.
9 comments:
Jacob, I mean, Doctor Calvert, those are really cool pictures! It's cool to see how people get opened up when they have C-Section. It's weird to think I got sliced open like that. Anyways, I really enjoy all these medical posts. They are so interesting!
Holy cow...makes me very glad that mine came out the other way. But grateful of course, that there are people standing ready with sharp knives, just in case:).
That story about Ben is hilarious. What a funny boy he is. And those pictures! I've been sliced open before, so it's cool to see what that looked like. You're lucky you're the one with the knives and not the one getting sliced. I'm glad you love your job. What a neat thing to welcome babies into the world.
you could've wanred us of the goriness of that post!!!!! EW! Cool stuff though.
Dr. Jake,
This post is amazing. I am so proud of you. I can't believe that that is really you in pictures.
ps. this is josh.
whoa, wasn't prepared for the photos, but congrats, that is so awesome! you are the real deal...greg also suffers from narcolepsy, he has his entire life...it is the best when you are in the middle of an important discussion and you look over...gone. totally.
Now THAT'S an umbilical cord!
those pics are incredible! that baby is like, "hello world, i am here!" what a great documentary to have all those pics! and no need to apologize...us moms feel like that most of the time! especially when we have a newborn! anyway, looks like youre doing a great job doc!
Seeing those pictures was a little creepy. I know that I've had 3 c-sections and it shouldn't bother me, but Trav has never taken pictures of my belly or what was going on, so seeing it...
Post a Comment