Thursday, February 05, 2009

Happy 98th Grandpa Stocking!

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but I wanted to make note of the significant event that happened yesterday...my Grandpa Stocking's 98th Birthday! My cousin Kim wrote a beautiful post about this man, his life, and the great memories that we've had. I share many of them with her, including the incredible 4th of July parades up Redwood, the snacks that you could always find in the little cupboard (don't forget the Lucky Charms!), riding in the front middle seat of the old car right in between Grandma and Grandpa, the marble game, and of course the creepy haunted basement. Over the years I've loved sitting next to Grandpa and listening to his old stories that have spanned very near a century. A family history class at BYU allowed me to have a formal interview with Grandpa where I got to go back in time with him and learn what an interesting, talented and resourceful man he is. I'm sure life was never easy and yet his mind seems to only be filled with the good times. He has shared his life with 6 children, 26 grandchildren, and a bunch of great grandkids! I hope that when I am his age, I am as sharp and as spry as he is. Not every 98 year-old still lives in his own home and runs the rototiller in the garden and the snow blower up the driveway! There's no doubt he'll make it to 100!

I believe Grandpa was about 18 here.  He was a wrestler at Utah State.  

Allen Stocking and Mary Hamilton (my Grandma)

The Stetson Man


I love you Grandpa and Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

Amber Addams said...

What a beautiful post, Abbey. Thank you for sharing those stories. I have been thinking about grandparents lately; Mike's grandma fell and broke her hip and our thought have been with her this week. And it made me want to catch up with and keep better in touch with the Grandparents on my side.

Thanks for sharing! Hope you guys are well, we look forward to seeing you next week!

Kim said...

I can't believe I forgot about the marble game! Thanks for counting up the grandkids- I started, then my brain started to hurt! I dare anyone to try counting up the great-grandkids! Thanks for adding your memories- that's what I was hoping all of the cousins would do.