A great little Sushi place but more importantly, the best picture of both of us together.
Waiting for our shuttle to the hotel the first day.
I shot this picture lying in bed. You can't really beat watching the sun emerge from the Carribean Sea ... from bed.

The resort had over 2,000 rooms and miles of paths on which we made tracks between our room, the restaurants, pools, etc... I wish I could say I walked enough to burn all the calories we ate. Abbey would kill me if I included her in this, but I gained 8 lbs in 6 days! On a side note from one of my many random medical facts, it takes an extra 3500 calories to gain 1 pound. That's an extra 28,000 calories in 6 days and that, amigo, es mucho repugnante.



A water for Abbey and yet another Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri for me.
And another...




We spent a day getting to and touring Chichen Itza. It was amazing to see, especially with an LDS perspective. It was the Mayan center of political, religious and military power from about 800 and 1200 A.D. This was well after the final destruction of the Nephites but as the Lamanite descendants intermixed with the other people in the Yucatán I am sure there was Lamanite blood building these temples.




This was the largest of 7 mesoamerican ball parks that have been discovered in Chichén, where teams likely tried to pass a ball through that ring and the winning captain was rewarded with decapitation. I guess an honor if you believe in reincarnation.
This was one of two cenotes, a sinkhole containing groundwater, used for drinking or in this case probably human sacrifices.
We couldn't help but get a few things, not at those prices anyway. We did shop right up to the time we were supposed to meet back up with our group only to go out and find no bus. We later found out that they miscounted the passengers, thought everyone was back early and left 15 minutes before the meeting time. Thank you Gorge, our Mexican guide, for leaving us at Chichen Itza! We will always remember you. We fortunately found another bus and a guide who was heading the same direction and who said, "I swear on my mother-in-law's life I will not leave you."
A boy demonstrating some traditional dances at lunch after we met back up with our group and were made fun of by everyone there - not like it was our fault they left us! Another funny story...right after taking this picture I went to find the bathroom. Some people will do anything for a tip. A kid probably about 15 followed me down the hall, stopped me from trying to go into the women's, and then proceeded to lean against the sink and watch me go. I realized he was blocking the paper towel dispenser but was holding a few out for me. It is funny how uncomfortable you can be with someone watching everything you do. I couldn't figure out the sink and sprayed water all of over my pants, which is embarrassing enough when you are alone and not being stocked by a 15-year-old Mexican. After all that, all I could do was open my wallet and tip the kid. I guess if you are ever in Mexico and need a buck the bathroom is a good place to start, especially if you are lucky enough to stumble upon someone as dumb as me.
Okay, one more...
"Do we have to go home?" It wasn't like our boys were missing us or anything. Actually, I don't think they missed us at all thanks to Adam & Emma and my mom. Thank you guys for taking such great care of them! We hope you will do it again very soon.
16 comments:
That looks absolutely amazing, you two are incredibly tan, and I'm absolutely sure there isn't a person on the planet who isn't incredibly jealous of you right now. Myself included.
Wow! Great pictures of what looks like an AMAZING trip! How fun!! Abbey, I can't believe your hair has gotten so long! It looks great!! Now the hard part...adjusting back to the normal life! Thanks for sharing the pics!
I am super jealous of your trip. Someday i am going to graduate from medical school. Unfortunately at that time it will probably be illegal to travel out of the United States. Unless of course we join the two countries, Ron Paul 08!
Mexico here I come...seriously! After those awesome photos who wouldn't want to go there? I hope that you guys had an incredible time together! Miss ya Abbey!
Great fun guys--super jealous! I'm glad you got to take a trip together to celebrate both of your hard work through med school!
That looks amazing! What a wonderful vacation for the two of you. You deserve it after all that hard work in school!
Post more pictures please!!!!! That place is beautiful!
Yep, I'm loving the bathroom-tipping story out there for the whole world to read. Hilarious.
wow...it looks like it was an amazing vacation..well-deserved!! I can't wait to talk to you guys and hear all about it...awesome pics and I am dying about you guys being left at chicen-itza and the bathroom story...abbey..way to soak up those rays...and read your books in peace...love it!
OOOO... we are super jealous. Someday...
By the way... when do ya'll move to SLC?? We will be in town in a couple of weeks, would so love to get together and catch up.
What a perfect way to celebrate being done with four years of hard work! We will come to you with questions when it is our turn to head to Mexico.
Oh how fabulous! It looks like you had so much fun.
Jacob--I loved the caloric information--your performance is quite impressive.
Best,
Andrea
It looks awesome!
Great pictures by the way.
Cancun is on our list now :-)
Yowza! So we have been to Mexico, but apparently we haven't truly BEEN there after seeing this post! On our honeymoon we also encountered the hilarious "swim up bar" thing and ordered a ton of virgin everythings. They were so good, mostly because they were COLD. Well I think you're on the next swimsuit issue of SI!
Wow!! That looks like an amazing vacation, and it was SO exciting to see a real pokatok goal and cenote....I remember learning about those in the 8th grade!! We miss you guys...and congratulations Dr. Calvert!
How do we know the drinks were virgin? They all look the same. Besides, it's not against the WoW if you do it outside the US, right? And if I'd known following you into the bathroom was so lucrative, I would've started a long time ago.
Post a Comment