Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Free to Fly

Ben's greatest wish came true and he finally got to learn how to ride a two wheeler without the training wheels. We found this little gem on Craig's List and in true Ben Calvert fashion he was off and riding with one push. Within a half an hour he was able to get on and off and handle the breaks by himself. He even started checking out what kind of tricks he could pull off. I guess it's as they say, it's just like riding a bike!












Max got to inherit Ben's old bike and he couldn't have been happier. Oh, and don't mind the hole in the jeans. I'm certain that every pair of pants these boys own suddenly busted holes in them all within a month. I know all you mother's out there are telling me to go get some patches. I know, I know. I'll get to it. Eventually.

10 comments:

Cailean said...

Oh my! What a big boy! No training wheels! Okay so our 5 and 6 year olds aren't even close to that - one downside of living in a big city. And I wasn't thinking to put patches on at all, by the way. I love the skater dude look.

twoplustwins said...

congratulation Ben. Eliza has been works really hard at riding with two wheels and it is so fun to watch.
I couldn't help but smile, every time I look at the twins jeans they have a whole. I have given up and am just happy they have jeans to put on. maybe I will patch them...someday! sure miss you guys. 1 year almost done, hard to believe!

Andrea said...

Hooray! I agree with Cailean--patches didn't cross my mind either.

Susie said...

Wow - he is just ahead of the class on several accounts! Having a kid on his/her own two wheels is the best!
As for the holes, it's a guy thing - they're just proving their manhood. Or something.
Oh, and when are you gonna pass through again? We're still in the same house...with the extra bedroom... and we still like to play Pirates Cove...

Jason and Rachel said...

We decided that only a physician's kid would have ALL of the body gaurds needed while riding a bike. Maybe next time he could wear shoulder pads. (you know Jason will have our kids wearing a set). Ha!

LizzyP said...

That is one day he will never ever forget. What a great thing!

Mom said...

Why bother with patches? He'll grow out of them before you get them on! I can't believe how fast Max is changing. It really is true that those first few years just fly by!

Mom said...

I remember practicing and falling so many times when I was learning to ride a bike. Emma decided one day that she wanted to learn, so Jake took off her training wheels, she got on and was off. Just like that. The next day she decided to teach our neighbor girl, Addy. She got on Emma's bike and was off. What is it with kids these days?!

Scott's said...

I think that when they learn to ride by themselves a little part of them turns into a daredevil!!! (and superman). And I so know about the pants. I bought Ryan 2 new pairs of "school pants" and within 2 weeks there were holes! And not just small ones. It was more like the top half was desperately holding onto it's legs!

Travis and Jamie said...

So jealous. Jacob won't even ride his bike WITH training wheels. He thinks that he is going to fall even though he never has.